Master's Degree Program realized with Faculty of Medicine in Bratislava
Physics (master), General Medicine (secondary)
Language of courses:
|Slovak and English|
doc. RNDr. Iveta Waczulíková, PhD.
|Related study programs:||bachelor's degree programs Biomedical Physics|
Description of the Study Program
At the end of the master's study program in biomedical physics, the student masters special methods of physical, biomedical and frontier sciences and their applications in various areas of biomedical research and biomedical practice. He/she also masters the methods of physical examination and treatment approaches, methods of biological signal processing and medical imaging, can independently solve theoretical problems based on appropriate mathematical methods, including the creation of mathematical models, design and implement computer simulations of physical and biomedical phenomena, masters at least one programming language, as well as statistical data processing, spreadsheets, word processing, hypertext, graphical presentation and publication of results , can communicate in a foreign language at a professional level (physics, mathematics, biology, chemistry, medicine). The graduate is able to work independently in interdisciplinary teams of hospitals, medical facilities or specialized laboratories (including management functions), in which he/she can use demanding diagnostic equipment, scan, process and evaluate signals, develop and improve methods of physical and physico-chemical therapy. He/she can also work independently in interdisciplinary scientific teams of universities or research institutes as well as in other areas of social practice, where he/she can design, operate and assess complex experimental and technological equipment, solve various mathematical, physical and biomedical tasks, create computer models and use information systems in medicine. He/she is able to independently process, publish and otherwise present the results of scientific and professional activities, and can also disseminate physical and biomedical knowledge at a comprehensible level among the general public. All acquired knowledge, skills and abilities are built and expanded with an emphasis on humanity, respect for human rights, ethics of conduct and with regard to economic, legal and social contexts, which is reflected in the inclusion of corresponding subjects in the common ground and options with this focus throughout the study.
When designing methods and approaches, the graduate is aware of the ethical, legal and environmental aspects of the proposed solution to the problem and applies them in accordance with the principles of sustainable development. It applies the principles of scientific work and connections: science - research - use in practice - protection.
Study in the second degree creates preconditions for continuing the study in the third (doctoral) degree.
What to Expect
The study plan consists of compulsory, optional and elective subjects. The subjects that are necessary for mastering both the physical and medical parts of the program and determine the determined profile of the graduate are included among the compulsory ones. Profile subjects of the study program are compulsory subjects of the study program: Experimental Methods of Medical Physics (1,2), Methods of Biosignal Processing and Computer Graphics (1), Health and Medical Informatics, Molecular Biophysics, Special Practical in Biomedical Physics (1,2), Fundamentals and applications of optical spectroscopy, Pathological anatomy, Pathological physiology, Diploma thesis (1,2). The subjects of the state exam are also profiled. Compulsory subjects also include a diploma thesis and a seminar on it, a seminar on a year project.
The study program also offers a wide selection of compulsory elective courses focused on various areas of biomedical physics: Biosignal Processing Methods and Computer Graphics (2), Physical Chemistry and Electrochemistry, Quantum Molecular Theory, Fundamentals of Biomechanics Medical Biophysics, Radiation Biophysics, Photobiotherapy, Applications of ionizing radiation and radionuclides in medicine, Fundamentals of magnetic resonance spectrometry and tomography, Design of experiments and studies in biomedical research, Biomedical applications of ultrasound, Effects of ionizing radiation on living organisms and radiation protection, Nanostructures in biophysics and medicine.
Selected lectures will enable the student to broaden their horizons and knowledge in the required focus and to choose subjects directly related to the focus of the thesis and the vision of his further personal career. Several of the lectures are offered and taught by external practitioners or in cooperation with them.
With the diploma thesis, the student has to demonstrate the ability to independently acquire theoretical and practical knowledge based on the current state of science and creatively apply, use and develop them. The final thesis will be prepared by the student under the guidance of the thesis supervisor. The supervisor of the final thesis will prepare a written report on the final thesis and propose its evaluation. The final work is assessed by the opponent. The opponent will prepare a written report on the final thesis and propose its evaluation.
Examples of successful final theses of our students (only in Slovak language):
- Analýza prvkového zloženia ľudských tkanív (2021)
- Chránená a nechránená extracelulárna DNA (2021)
- Analýza vzoriek moču detských pacientov s depresívnym ochorením metódou vysokoúčinnej kvapalinovej chromatografie (2021)
- Štúdium dendrimérov enkapsulovaných v lipozómoch a ich potenciálne využitie v terapii onkologických ochorení (2021)
- Kvantitatívne metódy diagnostiky tkanív ľudského kolena pomocou magnetickej rezonancie vysokého magnetického poľa – 7 Tesla (2021)
- Analýza presnosti automatickej obrazovej navigácie v externej rádioterapii (2021)
- Vplyv ultramalých superparamagnetických nanočastíc oxidov železa na funkciu cievnej steny (2020)
- Vývoj novej diagnostickej metódy na detekciu onkologických ochorení pomocou elektrochemických biosenzorov (2020)
- Diagnostický potenciál spektrálnych charakteristík telových tekutín pri rakovine močového mechúra (2020)
- Modulácia senzoricko-motorických EEG rytmov počas neurorehabilitácie s rozhraním mozog-počítač (2020)
- Hodnotenie dávky žiarenia na citlivé štruktúry pri jednorazovej stereotaktickej rádiochirurgii na lineárnom urýchľovači LINAC (2020)
- Využitie 3D bioprintingu v regeneratívnej medicíne (2019)
Graduates' Career Opportunities
Graduates of the master's study program in biomedical physics do not have problems (experience gained so far with graduates of the twenty-year master's degree so far) with employment in the field, or with the use of acquired education in a wide range of related fields. The most typical examples of biomedical physicists are:
- medical facilities or specialized laboratories (operation of medical equipment, sensing, signal processing and evaluation, participation in the improvement of physical therapy methods)
- basic research (SAS, international research centers, world and domestic science centers)
- environmental and sanitary facilities (sampling and analysis of radioactivity, environmental pollution, radiation protection…)
- development laboratories
- pharmaceutical groups
- trading companies for medical technical equipment and laboratory equipment
- development and manufacturing companies
- IT companies specializing in medical devices and evaluation of biomedical data
- Universities and educational institutions The study program does not prepare graduates for regulated professions.