Numerical Analysis and Scientific Calculations
Doctoral Degree Program
The faculty will not be opening this program in the academic year 2022/2023.
full time / external
full time form 4 years, external form 5 years
|Related study programs:||master's degree program Mathematics|
Numerical Analysis and Scientific Computing is a traditional mathematical discipline, which is the core of applied mathematics. It is fundamental in numerical modelling of natural and economic sciences. Our graduates have been successfully employed at technical universities at home and abroad. We have an intensive scientific collaboration with several universities. The list of problems considered in our program includes:
- Numerical solution of partial differential equations, particularly problems with free boundary conditions.
- Derivation of new discretization methods for differential equations with emphasis on their practical use.
- Proposing approximation methods for nonlinear elliptic and parabolic equations.
- Investigation of classical numerical methods like Runge-Kuta and derivation of estimates of error approximations.
- Convex and linear programming for use in research problems of mathematical programming.
- Numerical and analytical simulation of discontinuous mechanical systems.
Full-time doctoral students who have permanent residency in the European Union are entitled to receive a scholarship for the entire standard duration of their studies. The scholarships are paid starting on the date of enrollment. The scholarship is determined in accordance with the tables included in the Law no. 553/2003 Z.z. as follows:
- prior to completion of the qualification exam: 807,50 EUR (6th class, 1st level)
- after successful completion of the qualification exam: 940,50 EUR (7th class, 1st level)
Scholarships are not subject to taxes or other fees.
Doctoral studies are considered an equivalent to full time employment and in the majority of cases cannot be combined with another employment. Job holding applicants who intend to keep their job are advised to apply for the external (distance) form of doctoral studies. Doctoral students enrolled in the regular form are expected to participate in teaching activities such as conducting recitations or exam grading, in accordance with the needs of their corresponding departments.